Thursday 17 December 2015

My Favourite Dining Spots in New York

I went to New York with my sister for a week during the Summer to visit my cousin. One of my favourite things about New York is that everyone eats out. And that’s exactly what we did! There were so many options that we always managed to find somewhere that everyone was in the mood for. I put together a list of my favourite eat outs that I went to during my stay in the Big Apple.


Ellen’s Stardust Diner - 1650 Broadway

Are there any Musical Theatre fans out there? This diner will make it to the top of your list! This unique diner has very special staff serving you. Each waiter and waitress are dreaming of a life on a Broadway stage and they come to work at Ellen’s in the hopes of being discovered. In the middle of serving customers and clearing tables, they are singing and dancing on top of chairs! They take requests too! Well when I say that, I mean we wouldn’t leave until they sang Let It Go from Frozen haha! It is well worth a visit just for the experience. Located just off Times Square it's the perfect place to eat after a busy day of shopping and sightseeing. Ellen’s is always hopping so expect a queue before you get a table. I waited for half an hour for a table for 3, but believe me, the wait is worth it!




Brooklyn Bagel - 1 located on the High Line and 3 located in Astoria, Queens

You will never find a bagel in Ireland like a Brooklyn Bagel. When I first went in I was overwhelmed by the amount of spreads and fillings that were available. They have dozens of cream cheese flavours including vegetable, cinnamon, strawberry, blueberry and sundried tomato. Choose your hand rolled, water boiled bagel and choose your fillings then you’re good to go. Be adventurous and choose a filling you wouldn’t usually go for. I went for a wholemeal bagel with mozzarella, tomato and basil. Delish!




Kurant Wine Bar - 1091 2nd Avenue

Kurant Wine Bar is for when you want to dress up and have a nice glass of wine. I went on my last night in New York. It is more expensive than the other dining options on my list but it's not over priced. My cousin and sister shared a cheese plate. You are able to pick and choose which cheeses you want. I went for calamari nom nom! It is a nice quiet night out or a great place to start before moving on somewhere else. There are also booths with sheer curtains for that little bit of privacy… although not enough for the couple sitting in the booth next to us! 😷




The Dubliner Pub - 45 Stone Street

There’s one thing I always do when I go on a holiday and that’s eat in an Irish pub at least once. What can I say! I like having a taste of home when I’m away. The Dubliners my my pub of choice on this trip. After a day wandering the financial district and getting a great deal on Broadway tickets, my cousin brought us to Stone Street. Just a five minute walk from Wall Street, Stone Street is full of pubs and restaurants with tables spilling out onto the cobblestoned street. I definitely recommend sitting outside. Your table may be at a slight slant, but you can soak up the atmosphere! The menu has a mix of the usual American and Irish food you’d expect. The entire street is perfect just for sitting back with a drink and relaxing.



Pure Thai Cookhouse - 766 9th Avenue

I went to Pure Thai Cookhouse on my first night in New York and I absolutely loved it! Pure Thai is in Hell’s Kitchen, an area of New York known for its great restaurants. It was small and authentic with mouth watering family recipes to keep you coming back for more. The wine was served in a short tumbler glass which is a nice novelty and helped me beat the jetlag! I ordered the ginger curry with calamari. It was delicious!






Don Antonios - 309 West 50th Street

Don Antonio’s Pizzeria is another Hell’s Kitchen favourite of mine. I went here after a full day exploring the Metropolitan Museum of Art and I was ravenous! Me and my sister are the definition of the word ‘hangry’ so we needed some food fast! Fortunately, the food was served quickly! What I loved about Don Antonio’s was that you could see the pizza being prepared and cooked because there was just a counter between the customers and the kitchen. I even got a wave from a chef who caught me looking at my pizzas progress haha! The food was amazing and it was obvious the ingredients were fresh and prepared that day.




The dining possibilities are endless in New York city! I ate in so many places and I don’t think I could choose a favourite! Do you have a favourite? I’ll definitely be returning to New York and I’d love some suggestions :) Hope this helped you if you’re looking for some inspiration :)

Talk soon!


Uiscebawn x



No comments:

Post a Comment