Monday 2 March 2015

Hot Yoga Positives and Negatives


Hot Yoga is a yoga practice preformed in a studio, humidified and heated between 35-40 C. It is an intense workout with multiple benefits but it is also very doable for people of all fitness levels. I started Hot Yoga very unfit. I never exercised and did not have a healthy diet. But I fell in love with the practice and now love the satisfaction of a good workout.
Downward Dog Yoga Pose
Downward Dog

In October last year, I went back to Hot Yoga. I had originally started Hot Yoga back in 2012, maybe 2011 and I fell in love! Being a poor student doing a final year project, I couldn't always afford to keep it up. So I went to it for a few months at a time and then take a break. Now I have been back for a few months and plan to stay at it, I can really feel some differences.
I'm gonna go through the many positives and the few negatives of doing hot yoga. I'm not saying a pro. I have a long way to go in perfecting my postures, these photos are just to make the post a bit more interesting.


Positives


  • Flexibility: Within three or four classes, I always notice my flexibility has significantly increased. The heat allows you to move deeper into your postures than yoga in regular temperatures. After a few months back, I am very close to folding in half with a straight back!
  • Energy: When I finish a class I always feel so much more energised than I did going in. It also helps me get a better sleep.
  • Mood changes: Going to yoga always helps me relieve any stress I had. Whether I sweat it out during class or meditate it out at the end of class, doesn't matter. It works!
  • Metabolism: Hot Yoga or any kind of exercise speeds up your metabolism. I always have less bloating as well when I keep up with classes.
  • All over body tone: I was very surprised with how much body strength I built up with yoga. Just holding one posture for a few breaths can strengthen so many muscles. My core is the most notable change :D
  • Immunity Boost: I feel run down less when I practice yoga. The heat is meant to boost the immune system. I used to get about four or five colds a year now I get about two at most.
  • Patience, breathing, focus: This was a perk I didn't know I needed in life. Yoga teaches you a new way of breathing. During a class this breathing helps you focus and move deeper in a posture. I noticed I started to use this breathing technique out of class. When I'm in work and I have back pain I have started breathing and stretching the pain away. If my computer freezes I've started to not get as frustrated because of this breathing. It comes in so handy!
  • Detox: The sweating detoxes your body of toxins. Also many postures detox your organs of all the bad stuff.
  • Weight Loss: Weight loss is a small benefit compared to all the other reasons above. I began Hot Yoga for this reason and I stayed for all the other reasons.
Wide legged forward bend

Negatives

  • Time: The class is just over an hour long but from the time I leave my house to the time I get home, its over two hours. Then I have to shower and with thick hair like mine, it takes forever to dry my hair!
  • Dehydration: You sweat a lot in class which means you can get dehydrated easily. Sometimes its hard to get that hydration back. During class sometimes I can feel dizzy or nauseated. I just have to drink more water and take a break on my yoga mat to feel better.
  • Limited times: In the Yoga studio I go to, they usually have around three classes a  day. One in the morning and two in the evening. Keeping to their timetable is a negative compared to being a gym member and going whenever I pleased.
  • Price: I currently pay €150 every two months for unlimited classes. This is a lot compared to when I went to the gym and paid around €300 for the year!
As you can see I was really grasping at straws looking for negatives and they certainly shadowed by all the positives. I would definitely recommend Hot Yoga to everyone! Old, young, fit, unfit, men, women, EVERYONE! I am finally at a place in my life that I can stick with it and hopefully I can become the best I can be with time and practice. Hope this helped anyone who was thinking of joining Hot Yoga. Talk soon!

Uiscebawn x

Uiscebawn

No comments:

Post a Comment