Wednesday 6 May 2015

Dealing with Contact Dermatitis


The Problem

I've mentioned before that I started working as bar staff in a pub in October. Mixing cocktails, using harsh cleaning supplies and constantly washing my hands caused me to get contact dermatitis on my hands. It started about 2 weeks after my first day. In the beginning it was just a bit of dry skin on a couple of my fingers. I've seen this before so I put some hydrocortisone cream on the affected areas. This usually helps, but this time I wasn't so lucky. Hydrocortisone is for temporary use so I stopped applying it after a week. This is when my hands got really bad. They became infuriatingly itchy. I would scratch uncontrollably in my sleep. They were red raw and cracked, I couldn't bend my fingers without experiencing a lot of pain. After a few weeks it spread to all my fingers and the entire palm of my hand down as far as my wrist. Simple actions, like driving my car, became a painful effort. Not only was it painful, it was ugly as hell! Small spots started to appear on my hands. My confidence was destroyed. I constantly gripped my hands closed so no one would see my hands. The photos below were taken after the worst stage of the dermatitis but you can still see the redness, spots and raw spots.

I went to my local doctor and he was useless. He told me I should just quit my job. He didn't educate me on contact dermatitis at all and just told me to moisturize and charged me €55! I've recently changed to a different doctors and I'm delighted with it. She examined my hands in such detail, she went through all the different things I could do and gave me the names of her favourite dermatologists if my hands got any worse.

Finding a solution

I started to pin point what made my hands worse. Unfortunately, there were some things I could not control. The cold weather and the indoor heating were not helping. I simply had to wait for warmer weather to solve that problem. However, there were some things I could control. I stopped applying any makeup with my hands and would use sponges for bb cream and cotton pads for moisturizers. I cut out wine altogether. That had a huge effect. If I drank wine, the morning after my hands would feel like they were on fire! I would only get my hands wet when necessary (for washing hands/showers etc.) Finally I would wear cotton gloves in bed at night in the hopes that it stopped me from scratching.

My second step was to find the right creams. I went through prescriptions creams such as elocon and protopic. These are basically stronger versions of cortisone. I tried silcocks base, e45, La Roche Posay repair cream, Neutrogenia and Cocoa Butter hand cream. 

7 months later, I have finally found what works for me! 


Elocon

This is a prescription ointment I get from my doctor but its really just a more powerful hydrocortisone so I'm sure that would work too. I use elocon when my hands get really bad. I mean so bad I can't bend my fingers and I've open wounds all over the palms of my hands (gross, I know, but sadly it happens.) I use Elocon once a day for a week and no longer because it thins out the skin.

Dermalex

I talked about this in my favorites of the month post. It's my miracle cream! I use this three times a day and I find it works a lot better if I use it right after I've washed my hands. It provides so much relief (temporary and long term) to all the discomfort from this contact dermatitis. 

Aveeno hand cream

I use Aveeno body lotion and shower gel so when I was recommended the hand cream I didn't have any doubts. Aveeno is a great brand for people who suffer from skin problems such as excema, psoriasis and dermatitis. I use Aveeno handcream all day everyday! Whenever my hands get wet, after my hands have been out in the cold, whenever! It's got a great smell too it, dries in quick and actually works unlike some hand creams I've used. 

Elave hand wash

Most hand washes were terrible for my dermatitis. They washed away the moisture in my skin. I got elave hand wash because I know Elave products are good for eczema sufferers. I keep it in the bathroom with a label on it so no one uses it haha I also keep some in my bag in a travel bottle. This way I don't have to use the soap in the public bathrooms and in work. 

My hands are so much better but not fully healed. I have my good days and my bad days. I am waiting patiently for Summer and the vitamin D that my skin needs so badly. Hopefully, the warm weather combined with my routine will make this problem go away.  Has anyone ever had any similar skin issues and have any advice? I also hope this helps anyone who has the same problem as me. Talk soon! 

Uiscebawn x
Uiscebawn

1 comment: